Requiem for a Whale
(Documentary film, 15 min, 2022)
On a stormy night in early 2021, a whale’s body washed ashore at Nitzanim beach in Israel.
Over the documentation of the encounter between people and the carcass, we hear the voices of several witnesses who were present at the rare occurrence.
From the fabric of responses, a collective experience shines regarding the dialogue between life and death.
Director — Ido Weisman
Cinematographer — Ido Weisman
Editor — Alex Khosid
Producer — Ido Weisman
The film screened at the following festivals:
• Winner of the David L. Wolper Student Documentary Award at the IDA Documentary Awards (December 2022)
• Winner of the Israeli documentary forum awards - Best student film (December 2022)
• Docaviv international documentary film festival - Second place and the Cinematography awards in the student competition (Tel-Aviv, June 2022)
• Atlanta Docufest – Best Student Documentary Film (March 2023)
• DOC NYC (November 2022)
• Brisbane International Film Festival (November 2022)
• FIPADOC International Documentary Film Festival
• Santa Barbara International Film Festival (February 2023)
• Big Sky documentary film Festival (February 2023)
• Salem Film Festival (March 2023)